Friday, January 9, 2015

#10 One of My Favorite Soups -- Carrot & Leek!!

Have you ever made a soup that makes you say "Mmm, that's good."  Well when I make this one, anytime of the year that's what I always say.  It's so delicious and it's pretty easy to make.   This soup came about because I had so many carrots and I did not want them to go to waste.  So why not make a soup!  I'm so glad I found this one in my cookbook, The Ultimate Soup Bible, by Anne Sheasby.  I make it often.  The ingredients are minimal and you don't have to slave in the kitchen all day making it.

Here are the ingredients.


Carrot and Leek Soup

INGREDIENTS
2 ounces/4 tablespoons butter
3 leeks, sliced
1 pound carrots, sliced
1 tablespoon ground coriander
5 cups chicken stock
2/3 cup strained plain yogurt (optional)
salt and ground black pepper
2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, to garnish

As you can see from the above picture, I used a little more then a pound of carrots.  I also used two leeks.  I was trying to get rid of what I had on hand without it going bad.




Melt your butter in a large pan.  Add the leeks and carrots and stir well to coat the butter.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are beginning to soften.

Stir in the ground coriander and cook for about 1 minute.  Pour in the stock and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the leeks and carrots are tender.



Leave to cool slightly, then puree the soup in a blender until smooth.  I used my Ninja but you can use a food processor.  Return the soup to the pan and add 2 tablespoons of the yogurt, then taste the soup and adjust the seasoning.  Reheat gently, but do not boil.  Ladle the soup into bowls and put a tablespoonful of the remaining yogurt in the center of each.  Sprinkle over the chopped cilantro and serve immediately.


Mmm, Mmm Good

Enjoy!

Until next time...


No comments: