Thursday, September 4, 2014

#9 Meatless Monday Recipe

I'm trying to get into the habit of limiting my meat consumption to one day per week.  I know there are a lot of people doing the opposite of this eating meat six days out of the week and reserving one as a meatless meal -- hence the phrase "Meatless Monday."  So I thought I would share a meatless meal for those who would like to cut back from the meat!!!

This recipe is Black Bean & Spinach Enchiladas.  It was very good and  I have to give credit where credit is due -- I got this recipe from "Do It On A Dime" you can check out her original recipe here:   Meatless Monday Recipe.

Here's what I did:

Black Bean & Spinach Enchiladas



Ingredients:

8 or more Whole Wheat Tortillas
6 Green onion chopped & 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 5oz can of black beans (I used bag beans -- cooked)
6 oz. baby spinach
1 1/2 cup frozen corn (thawed)
shredded cheese of your choice (I used mozzarella -- one child does not like cheddar)

Enchilada Sauce
1 tbsp. Olive oil for pan
6 oz. jar tomato paste
1/4 cup all purpose flour (I used Red Mill Whole Wheat pastry Flour)
2 tsp of all these ingredients
  • cumin
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • chili powder
  • salt/pepper to taste
3 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth

Mix all ingredient of your sauce and sit to the side.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375.  Add spinach to pan -- saute and cover with a lid.  Let it cook down with a little olive oil on the bottom of the pan.  Put all ingredients (except for tortillas) into a mixing bowl along with spinach.  Add 2 tsp. cumin to this mix.  Mix this all up.


Coat the bottom of your baking pan with Pam and add 1/4 of your sauce to the bottom of this pan.


Yes, the next step is to fill your enchilada's.  Two spoonfuls should do it.  If you are not familiar with wrapping your enchilada's check out this video How To Wrap Enchilada's.  It should then look like this:


Top these babies with the remainder of your sauce and as much cheese as you prefer.  Bake for 20 min. and it should it look something like this.

 mmmmmmm good


Your family will not say "Where's the beef."  Enjoy!!!!!

Until next time...

No comments: