Thursday, February 26, 2015

#12 Yummy Pizza Crust Made with Cauliflower!!!

I love pizza!  Who doesn't?  I don't like the crust because it's nothing but bread, which if you are not wanting to see it's results on your hips and thighs -- you will do good by going light on it!  With that in mind, I found on YouTube, a lady by the name "Rockin Robin" (Rockin Robin's Recipe) who made this fantastic pizza using Cauliflower as her crust.  I had to try it!  How to make this is at the bottom.

Robin started off using one head of Cauliflower.  Her pizza, in my opinion, would be great if you were making it as a personal pan pizza.  I wanted a bigger size for myself and the hubby.  So I used two heads of Cauliflower (8 rectangle slices).

I used 2 heads chopped and rinsed


I then used my food processor and chopped the Cauliflower into a rice consistency.  I did the same thing with the zucchini:

Process until it looks like rice


The hardest process for me, was wringing the cauliflower and zucchini out with a thin cloth to remove the water.  It was only hard because I was in a hurry to eat this and cook it -- I didn't give myself enough time to let it cool.  It was so hot and it was hard to wring it out.  So my advice, like Robin said, is to let it cool completely before you try to wring all the water out.

After adding the two together (cauliflower and zucchini) -- add the other ingredients mentioned below and form it into the size pizza you want.  It can be a circle, square, rectangle -- whatever you like.  I did not have a circle pizza stone or pan -- so I used my rectangle oven pan.  It worked just fine.


Use what you have and shape it however you want it

Bake for 20 minutes

You can add whatever sauce you want -- but Robin used pesto on hers and I don't ever remember making a pizza using pesto for my sauce -- so I tried it and I absolutely loved it!  Just store bought pesto is fine -- but she has a recipe that you can use to make your own Rockin Robin's Pesto Recipe.  It's very important to add a thin layer of pesto as well because this will eliminate the pizza crust from becoming soggy. 


Only four slices left -- gotta make more!  YUM!!!

This is by far one of the best pizza's I have ever made.  It's not only healthy, but there is so much flavor in the crust and the ingredients used in this pizza.  The drizzle of sauteed onions along with the feta cheese and tomatoes were so delicious.  You could come up with loads of variations -- but I'm glad I started off with this one.  I could not stop saying -- "When I want pizza, this is what I'm going to make from now on."  No guilt -- it's ALL GOOD!  Oh and by the way -- my husband enjoyed every bite!

 Cauliflower Crust Pizza With Pesto Sauce

1 head cauliflower
1 medium zucchini
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mild cheddar
1/4 cup Gluten Free flour (Trader Joe's)
1 egg

Toppings:
fresh pesto sauce
mozzarella cheese, grated
goat cheese (I used Feta I don't know if they are the same)
caramelized onion

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Trim up the cauliflower (remove the florets) and place them into a food processor. Process the cauliflower until if looks like little granules of rice.

Put the cauliflower into a microwavable bowl and cook on high for 7 to 8 minutes.

While the cauliflower is cooking, grab a fine grater and grate up the zucchini. Chop through the zucchini to make it really small pieces. Similar to the cauliflower.

Place the zucchini into a bowl and microwave that for 3 minutes.

Cooking the vegetables helps to release all the liquid in the vegetables. Getting most of the liquid out of them is necessary to having a good crust.

Let both vegetables cool so you can touch them without burning yourself.

Place the cauliflower in a clean, white, thin cloth and lift up the sides so you can wring the cauliflower of it's water. You should be able to get out about 1/4 cup of water.

Just squeeze to get as much water out of it as you can. When you can squeeze no more, place the cauliflower into a mixing bowl. Scrape it out with a spoon to get it all out.

Do the same thing with the zucchini and add it to the cauliflower.

Now let's add the other ingredients to make our cauliflower crust.

Add the egg and Parmesan cheese and stir it in with a fork or spoon.

Blend the dried oregano, dried basil, garlic and onion powders, all together is a small bowl before adding to the cauliflower.

Sprinkle the spices all over the cauliflower to spread them all around the dough and stir.

Next add the yogurt and stir again.

Then add the flour by adding a little at a time and then stirring. Keep alternating until the flour is incorporated into the dough.

Add a sprinkle of salt and then add half of the mild cheddar cheese and stir. Add the second half of the cheese and stir again.

Prepare a pizza stone, pizza pan, or a baking sheet with parchment paper and a drizzle of olive oil on top.

Shape your dough into a ball and then place it on the center of your pan of choice.

Press out your dough until it is about 1/4 inch to 1/3 inch thick.

Place in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown.

Once done, spread the crust with your favorite toppings.

I used homemade pesto sauce. Remember to use a thin layer of whatever sauce you are using so the crust doesn't get soggy.

I added grated Mozzarella cheese, goat cheese, chopped homegrown tomatoes, and caramelized onion slices.

Place your pizza back in the oven at 450 degrees F. for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Until next time...

No comments: