Thursday, May 22, 2014

#8 Favorite for the Month of May 2014





Hey guys!!!  It's been awhile since I posted to my blog "Oh Taste & See" -- but oh my goodness -- have I got something to share which is my favorite for the month of May.

It's this women right here:



* * * Laura Vitale * * *

I found Laura on YouTube and fell in love with this Italian cook's food.  Her food is not only delicious but most of it is healthy -- and what you find that is not healthy, you can change up certain ingredients and make it to your health standards.


Well that's what I'm bringing today.  I made Laura's Pasta with Sausage & Creamy Pesto Sauce (YouTube video found here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4GfiSCDhcI).  It was the bomb.com!!!!  Here's the recipe:




Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1-½ lb of Italian Turkey Sausage, casings removes (I used turkey kielbasa (Fit and Light) at Aldi)
1 lb Taghiatelle Pasta, or any other thick ribbon pasta (I used Ronzoni HealthyHarvest All Natural 100% Whole Grain Wide Noodles)
2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 cups of Heavy Cream (I used Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt with water to thin it out like heavy cream)
1 cup of Homemade Pesto (I used a store bought Pesto)
¼ cup of Freshly Grated Parmiggiano Reggiano (a must -- got mine from Trader Joe's in their cheese section)
Salt and Pepper, to taste


Process,
1) Fill a large pot with water and sprinkle in some salt, bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions, drain well.

2) In a large skillet with high sides, preheat the oil over medium high heat, add the sausage and break it up with a wooden spoon but don’t break it up too much, you want to have some nice chunky sausage pieces, cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until fully cooked through.

3) Add the garlic and cook for another minute.

4) Add the heavy cream and reduce the heat to medium-low, let it cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the sauce thickens.

5) Add the pesto to the cream and sausage mixture and let it cook for one minute. Add the sauce to the drained pasta along with the parmiggiano reggiano, stir everything together well and serve right away! 

 
Laura mentioned in her video that this pasta is not something you want to cook often because of the heavy cream -- but For my recipe -- as you can see above, I used ingredients that made this pasta healthier and the taste was fa-nom-inal!!  TIP:  I also added to mine "greenery" a bag of broccoli.  It made it even better.  You should always add something green to a dish!!!

Switch heavy cream for Greek Style Nonfat Plain Yogurt






Please give this a try.  You will not be sorry -- it truly is the BOMB.COM!!!  I'm off to have the leftovers for lunch....

Until next time...

No comments: